Friday, December 12, 2008

On My Honor

The other day I was applying for BYU-I, and I remember see a quote that was amazing. It said something to the effect of: "Some people have asked what I mean when I say your word of honor. If you put me in a jail cell there is always a way for me to get out, no matter how high you build the walls or how deep you go in the ground they go. But, if you draw a line on the ground with a piece of chalk and put me inside and I give you my word of honor that I won't leave, is there a way for me to get out? no not one, I die first."
- I can't remember, I think it was one of BYU-I presidents

This got me thinking on how much do I value my word of honor. Would I really be willing to sit in a box drawn on the ground for the rest of my life just because I promised someone I would? well thats not a real hard question but the answer depresses me, I for one wouldn't. I need to change that major flaw within me. Just something interesting I was thinking of.

2 comments:

Logan Thomas said...

Would you sit in a box drawn on the ground forever? No, of course not. That is ridiculous!

But, that doesn't mean you lack integrity. If there were something that truly mattered, something more important than a chalk box then I believe that you, Jeremy, would make a great effort to maintain your sacred word.

There, I searched your soul for you!

Jeremy said...

No Logan, if its not important enough for me I wouldn't give my word that I would stay inside the box. so yes it is kind of dumb but the idea behind it is very good.