Monday, December 29, 2008

Personal Revelation

This thought is based on D&C 9:7-8. It comes directly from my inspirational journal (where I keep my notes on scriptures and church lessons) so please be aware it's my own personal thoughts. I just felt I should share it with you all.

This is when I was pondering about a lot of different things in my life, and considered asking my father for a blessing so the Lord could tell me what to do. I wanted the easy way out. What I realize now is that I don't need to ask for a personal blessing when I don't have all of the answers. That's what the Children of Israel did, and why they had so many specific rules.
I need to do many things of my own free will, and work out the specifics on my own. Then I can ask for Heavenly confirmation as to what I have chosen to do.

The closer we draw to the Lord, the less details he needs to give us. If we are actively doing good and are continually turning our lives over to Him, He doesn't need to direct us in every little thing because we will already be doing His will.

Look at the Brother of Jared's example. The Lord gave him a general commandment, (get to the Promised Land) and left the specifics, (how to light the barges that would bring them there) up to him.

If we desire personal revelation from God, we need to use our own intelligence and motivation to figure out what we think is the best choice, and then ask Him if it is His will for us.

Pretty cool, huh? :)

No comments: